5.05.2007

Why I do what I do

The consumption of coffee has attracted controversy since it's beginning. Most people are shocked to know that coffee is the second highest traded commodity, behind oil. Coffee! The beverage that most people rely on to start their day, or as a vehicle for social interaction, or use for intellectual stimulation is more important globally than most care to think about. But this is why I do what I do. Sure I love the atmosphere of the coffee shop and being a part of customers' lives but I am driven first and foremost by a passion for social change. There is so much talk and debate about the best way to work in this business. Do you buy fair trade or organic or from origin or whatever is cheapest? Everyone thinks they have the answer and in my opinion not many are doing it right.

So here is a brief description of fair trade:
-the trading of goods that creates relationships between producers, traders, and consumers in a manner that producers work in safe conditions, are paid fair wages, and are mindful of the environment
-it is meant to empower farmers in developing countries to lift themselves out of poverty by investing in their farms and communities, protecting the land (harmful agrochemicals and GMO's are strictly prohibited), and developing business skills needed to compete in the global marketplace (use of direct trade)

With fair trade becoming such a hot topic and with companies such as Walmart offering products with the "fair trade" label, fair trade itself has come under scrutiny. Here inlies the difference between what we'll call shallow fair trade and deep fair trade. Because this is becoming such a growing profitable industry it's no wonder that the corporate giants are jumping on. Shallow fair trade employs the same principles as corporate business and some including myself are beginning to question whether this is having an effect on the standards of fair trade. Not to mention the price of fair trade coffee is still terribly low. So fair trade as we know it isn't cutting it.
Now there is a move to buy directly from origin. Great idea! But alone I don't feel that this is enough either. See fair trade establishes regulations that in principle are a great starting point. In the end though it should be more than a label. It is an opportunity to change things globally by valuing people over profit. I would like to see individual roasters work directly with the grower co-op's and show a committment to being a part of the lives of the people whose labor allows us all to be in business to begin with. And let's start conducting that business based on respect and relationship.

A great woman and writer wrote that "there can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do." Now you know why I do what I do and what I'm doing here. If I expect to be a part of change I figured the best way to understand a farmer's toil was to experience it.

2 comments:

lets stone him said...

I agree with you on most things, I would push back a bit on the idea that Fair Trade is lowering standards. FLO just announced an increase to premiums paid including doubling the premium for organic. Currently only 30-40% of the coffee grown to certified FT standards is sold as FT. There just haven't been enough buyers to keep up with the supply. If the walmarts and starbucks can boost that to 70%, then it may be worth it. But FT is for sure used as a bandaid to cover up the depth of the injustices in the world economy. I'm all for direct partnership with farmers (obviously) but will always push for FT certifications even in those situations. In a way I think it diminishes the role of the "white savior" helping the poor farmers and places it in a larger societal context.

I love reading your blog, keep em coming. You taking orders for green beans?

Megan said...

Hey Les, agreed the raise in premiums is a great step but we need to push for increases in the base minimum price.