5.18.2007

Traveling

When writing about the need to travel Kent Nerburn said, "If we don't offer ourselves to the unknown, our senses dull, our world becomes small and we lose our sense of wonder, our eyes don't lift to the horizon, our ears don't hear the sounds around us, the edge is off our experience, and we pass our days in a routine that is both comfortable and limiting."
Perhaps you have noticed my blogging absence...I have been traveling. I spent this last week hiking and camping across the rest of this island. I can't even begin to describe all of my experiences so I will give a short list of what we got ourselves into.
- driving off road for 2 hours to find 2 remote black sand beaches
- heading to southpoint where the wind has caused the trees to all stretch towards the north
- off roading again to a green sand beach
- camping in Volcanoes National Park
- hiking 12 miles across lava fields
- walking into the woods to find naturally occurring steam baths (think lava hut)
- swimming in volcanically heated pools
- walking 8 miles to an ice cream shop that was closed
- walking through rainforest to waterfalls that drop up to 450 feet
- camping on the beach
There are so many stories and adventures within that list and I am so glad I was able to take some time to see and really experience this amazing place that I am calling home. Since I can't possibly portray this in words please check out my photos at www.flickr.com/photos/farmermeg

No comments: