4.27.2007

Roasting Know How


I was sitting on the lanai this afternoon sorting coffee beans when Bob came out and asked if anyone would like to roast with him. Not wanting to alienate myself from my fellow interns anymore than I already have I supressed my teachers pet of an arm from instinctively shooting into the air. When it was apparent that no one else was going to volunteer I decided I could nonchalantly offer myself for the task. The only problem being the awkward length of time that had passed between Bob's request and my response. Roasting got off to a rocky start when I poured the beans a bit too slowly and with the help of the blower they decided to jump out. Ten pounds of coffee in the roaster minus a few fugitives and we were underway. Bob says, "I'll be right back," and I calmy continued roasting trusting that I would not be responsible for the process through the climax and finish. As the temperature rose and I heard the sound of the first crack and there was still no sign of Bob I began to panic. I have never roasted using a fluid bed roaster before and I definitely didn't want to be the intern that burnt the beans, or broke the machine. I reached deep into my memory bank and tried to remember the temperature that a full city roast should be ready and I went for it. Thanks to my common sense I figured it was probably a good idea to turn the blower off before dumping the coffee into the cooling bin. The coffee looked great in color and the machine wasn't broken so I figured why not try again and roast the rest. I finished another 10 pounds successfully and Bob still hadn't returned. I guess that's one way to train someone. It reminds me of when my folks told me if I wanted to leave the house I had to take the Honda. The Honda was a stick and I quickly learned to drive it. Trial by fire has proven to be effective for me.

No comments: