4.05.2007

Coffee Philosophy

As I was sorting the coffee beans again today I began to think about the rejected beans and what I could learn from them. I felt sorry for these beans who had been grown for a purpose, living under intense sunlight, with the fear that at any moment they or their friends might be lopped off, then picked, and pulped. Just when they think they may drown they are laid out to dry and then raked. You can almost here their shrieking. Only to be put through a milling machine which essentially tears a layer of their skin off, to then be put on a shaking table and you can only imagine the nausea. Then some person goes through them and decides if all that was worth something. Are they a good bean or a bad bean? This got me thinking about life and being grown for something in particular. What happens when you don't fulfill that purpose? Are you then nothing but waste. Thankfully I have more control than a bean within a cherry on a tree and I am able to shape myself and the things I do in order to be useful in a grander scheme.
Basically what Im saying is coffee sorting gives you too much time to think.
The other interns are now calling me Madame Megan, reader of coffee beans.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan, I can't believe you are there! The pictures are amazing and in the pictures, you look like you're a part of the landscape! It's amazingly beautiful. I'm so excited to follow you on your journey and learn from what you're doing. Thanks for the inspiration. Love you and I'll be in touch soon!

Love, Pam(ela)

Anonymous said...

Good morning Meg, I want you to be assured that we wont rest here in Cincinnati until we have created a safe haven for the "Rejected Coffee Beans on your behalf. We have already initiated franchise opportunities so that the worlds population of rejected coffee beans can have their own local support group in the city or village of their rejection. Given the heart break you are experiencing, we have created a sister support group called the People Against The Unethical Rejection Of All Coffee Beans Are Beautiful And Have A Purpose, (PAT-UR-OAC-BABA-HAP) pronounced...Pat your oak bah bah hap which translates into our motto, see below. Finally with your approval we will move forward with an order for 750,000 bumper stickers with our Farmer Meg inspired motto, "LOVE THEM BOTH...THE BEAN AND THE DRINK"

Anonymous said...

It's like the coffee beans are convinced to give up their inhibitions, only to be slapped down as not good enough. It's a real risk to reveal oneself.

kendra said...

damn the man!