4.13.2007

Leave your birkenstocks and patchouli at the door

I am going to deviate from the course of coffee farming for a moment to report on a conversation I was in today. Now those of you who know me are aware that I have never had an opinion in my life and am not passionate about a thing. So I know that you will be shocked to learn that I would have engaged in a discussion that would make coffee sorting really interesting. I was happily sorting those beloved beans of mine enjoying another beautiful day in Kona when talk turned to the local food movement and progressed from there to small business vs. huge-mart. Approaching the topic with great care I stated that Walmart gives us too many reasons to choose not to shop there and being that we are all intelligent people I don't think I need to list those. But what about the big businesses that don't lay their indiscresions out on the table for us to view? Given that what drives most American's to shop where they shop is the distance their dollar will go, choosing to not shop at one of those places must employ some sort of belief. I personally choose to buy local when possible because I believe that it benefits a healthy landscape, culture, and heritage; not to mention, promotes a strong local community. My co-sorter's rebuttle was, "I don't care. When Walmart offers my favorite cereal $2 cheaper than anywhere else, I'll be there. And you can take your hippie nonsense and shove it." Now I should clarify this was not said with as much malice and aggression as it sounds but there was definitely some attitude. I'm not one to let things sit so I responded with a restrained, "I would have found that a lot less offensive if you hadn't referred to it as nonsense." I thought this was pretty good for me considering what I wanted to do was jump out of my chair, beans flying everywhere, and maul her. So here's what I'm having a hard time with now. Since when did giving a shit become hippie nonsense? And why is hippie used as a negative term? I would think, being that we live in a time where the general attitude is apathy and ignorance, that we would be thrilled to have a conversation that challenges what we think and believe. Do we really need those labels?
Do I own birkenstocks? Yes
Do I wear patchouli? Occasionally but I mix it with sandalwood and orange
Am I a hippie? Whatever

If your interested in knowing more about those companies whose indiscretions are not in plain sight check out responsible shopper at www.coopamerica.org
Great site that offers lots of information about different businesses...good and bad
Oh and for any of you that still get your coffee at that one coffee shop that's on every corner type their name in and see what comes up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's an interesting paradox in what you fellow sorter said. Mostly because the little jab, "hippie nonsense" betrays, I think, more care than he or she wishes to reveal. I mean, if they didn't care about the issue, why need to "shove" anything, or characterize your point of view as "nonsense"?What doesn't make "sense" is their need to dismiss your beliefs by shifting the issue to a category, hippie, which, as you say has an obtuse meaning these days, and has even less to do with the context of your conversation. In the end, the "hippie" comment is little more than an alibi your fellow sorter resorted to in order to justify the discomfort with the selfishness (the two-buck Chuck excuse) of their stance.

I'm with you. If "hippie" means green and conscientious, in addition to what it has meant historically (anti-war), I'm all for it.

kendra said...

I think stereo types focused in any direction are unfair. Whether you've been pegged as a "hippie", "jock", " granola", "yuppy", "prude", "intelectual,"dumb blonde" even "christian",whatever the name is we give to someone else, it's not right. Honestly, we're all trying to fit in somewhere, whether we're willing to admit that to ourselves or to others and whether it's right or wrong is subject to opinion. No one likes to be made to feel as if the choices and decisions they've made are the wrong ones. So, though you're co-worker didn't have the best response I can imagine that the discussion brought up emotions on each side that ultimately ended in one person emotional response. We ALL are guilty of judging what we feel someone else should think, believe, wear, not wear, say, not say and even feel. I believe when we get to that point of comfort within ourselves (which hopefully comes with age ;) we'll be a little more patient and tolerant of each other... no matter which side we're on. :)

Peace ;)

Anonymous said...

Whoa Megan! Knowing there are so many more choice phrases you could have come back with, I would have LOVED to be a fly on the wall during that conversation. You handled that so stinking well and I love & admire your passion for not just looking out for #1, but everyone...including the earth. You really inspire me and I'm so proud of you!