6.18.2007

Meaningless Blog to Accompany Meaningless Work

Another day of sorting coffee beans made interesting only by making up games to play. Music is always a trusty friend when you're trying to pass time. So as I began sorting coffee beans this morning I opened itunes and since I couldn't be bothered to make a choice I decided to rely on the shuffle. The interesting thing about shuffling 10,000 songs is that the transitions can be a bit awkward. I find that the computer often chooses things I probably wouldn't. Like that obscene collection of 80's tunes that I really don't want people to know that I have but I just can't bring myself to erase. And then I find that I'm pleasantly surprised by albums I forgot I had or just haven't heard in a long while. Then I start to play games like guess who this band is within the first 15 seconds of the song. If I'm correct then I see if I can name the song and the album. Rarely do I get all 3 correct. But today's transitions have been entertaining in and of themselves. One such strand of songs was as follows:

1. starting out with the always great Neil Young
2. ...moving right into Moby
3. ...so excited the next one was Magnetic Fields
4. ...here was the shocker Nat King Cole
5. ...a tune from Amelie
6. ..."it's a mother&#@%$*" by the Eels
7. ... Jon Brion
8. ...Sufjan
9. ...Ravi Shankar
10. ...DJ Shadow

The abrubt song changes have kept me alert in anticipation for what my computer will choose next.

11. ...Harry Connick Jr.
12. ...Pat Benatar
13. ...Lou Reed

No comments: